Acquiring Georgian citizenship by naturalization is possible by granting citizenship to a person by the president of Georgia. The relevant decision is authorized by the Presidential order.
Georgian citizenship can be granted in the following manner:
• Under an ordinary procedure – Discussed Bellow
• Under a simplified procedure – A person married to a Georgian citizen, who legally and uninterruptedly lived in Georgia for two years before the submission of application is awarded Georgian citizenship under the simplified procedure if he/she:
a) Knows the state language within the established limits;
b) Knows basics of the history and general principles of law of Georgia within the established limits.
• As an exception – Pursuant to Paragraph 2 of Article 12 of the Constitution of Georgia, the President of Georgia may award Georgian citizenship as an exception to a citizen of a foreign country who has a special merit before Georgia or when granting Georgian citizenship to him/her is in State interests.
• Through restoration – Georgian citizenship may be restored if it has been terminated as a result of:
- Abandonment of Georgian citizenship;
- Unlawful termination of Georgian citizenship; or
- Parents’ choice.
The Commission on Citizenship Issues assesses the compliance of a person’s knowledge of state language with established limits. (The test is not required when Georgian citizenship is restored on the ground of unlawful termination of citizenship.)
• Through Special Procedure – A person born in Georgia before 31 March 1993, whose Georgian citizenship is not established, has the right to obtain Georgian citizenship under a special procedure if he/she knows the state language of Georgia, basics of the history and general principles of law of Georgia within the established limits.The Commission on Citizenship Issues assesses the compliance of a person’s knowledge of state language, basics of the history and general principles of law of Georgia with established limits
Georgian citizenship shall be granted with an ordinary procedure to an adult who meets the
1. Has resided in Georgia legally and uninterruptedly for at least 5 years prior to the submission of application. A document certifying a legal and uninterrupted stay in Georgia is Georgian visa, residence permit or residence card, border stamp with the date of crossing the border;
2. Should know the state language to the pre-defined level. Georgian language skills are examined by the special commission through testing;
3. Should know Georgia’s history and the basics of Georgian law. Applicant’s knowledge is examined by the special commission through testing;
4. Should be employed in Georgia or/and own a real estate in Georgia, or be engaged in entrepreneurial activities on the territory of Georgia, or own interest or shares in an enterprise in Georgia.
Applications for the acquisition of Georgian citizenship
Applications for the acquisition of Georgian citizenship can be submitted in person or through an authorised representative. The applications are submitted to the territorial office of the Public Service Development Agency, branch of the Public Service Hall, or a Community Centre. Applicants living outside of Georgia can apply to a diplomatic mission or a consular office of Georgia abroad.
A decision on granting Georgian citizenship by naturalization is made within 3 months.
In the event of a negative decision, a person can re-apply to an authorized state body with the same request after 6 months.
Documents Required for Georgian citizenship under the ordinary procedure
- Application filled out in accordance with the established form;
- Photo 3×4 in size;
- Receipt certifying the payment of service fee.
- Copy of birth certificate (if you were born abroad and have such a document);
- Document evidencing your legal and uninterrupted stay in the territory of Georgia (a visa, residence permit or card, a stamp bearing the date of crossing the state border of Georgia);
- Document evidencing a job or/and real estate in Georgia, or engagement in entrepreneurial activities on the territory of Georgia, or shares in an enterprise in Georgia.
Legal Fees for Application for Citizenship
Term of service Fee
Eightieth day 50 GEL
Sixtieth day 100 GEL
Fortieth day 200 GEL
Twentieth day 300 GEL